Section B of the 2015 CSCS Health, safety and environment revision book (for operatives) contains Health and Welfare questions.
Topics covered are:
- Health ad Welfare
- Personal protective equipment
- Dust and fumes (respiratory risks)
- Noise and vibration
- Hazardous substances
- Manual Handling
Before sitting your test you should be able to answer all questions in this section but here are 10 questions you can use to test yourself.
c) Hay fever
d) Influenza (flu)
2. What will safety footwear with a protective mid-sole protect you from?
a) Twisting your ankle
b) Spillage which may burn the sole of your foot
c) Nails or sharp objects puncturing the sole of your foot if you stand on them
d) Getting blisters in warm, wet conditions
3. What is the biggest cause of long-term health issues in the construction industry?
a) Breathing in hazardous dust and fumes
b) Loud noise
c) Slipping and tripping
d) Being struck by a vehicle
4. Noise levels may be a problem if, in general, you have to shout to be heard when someone is standing how far away?
5. What training do you need to work with or remove asbestos cement products?
a) General asbestos awareness training
b) Gaining a CSCS card
c) Training for non-licensable asbestos work
d) None - anyone can work with asbestos cement
6. What is the main issue with using barrier cream to protect your skin?
a) It costs too much to use every day
b) Many harmful substances go straight through it
c) It is difficult to wash off
d) It can irritate your skin
7. You need to move a load that is heavier on one side than the other. How should you pick it up?
a) With the heavy side towards you
b) With the heavy side away from you
c) With the heavy side on your strong arm
d) With the heavy side on your weak arm
8. Where are you likely to breathe in the highest quantities of dust when drilling, cutting, sanding or grinding?
a) Outside on a still day
b) Outside on a windy day
c) In a small room
d) In a large indoor space
9. When must your employer provide you with personal protective equipment (PPE)?
a) Twice a year
b) If you pay for it
c) If it is in the contract
d) If you need to be protected
10. Why should you wear wellington boots when working in wet cement?
a) To stop your trousers getting wet
b) To keep your feet warm
c) To prevent dermatitis and skin burns
d) To allow you to walk faster through the cement
1-d, 2-c, 3- a, 4-a, 5-c, 6-b, 7-a, 8-c, 9-d, 10-c