Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Come on London, it’s Carnival time!
We’ve had a busy summer here in London, but we’ll always make space for Europe’s largest street festival – Notting Hill Carnival!
Every August Bank Holiday, the streets of West London come alive with bright colours, steel bands, jerk chicken, soca floats and live Calypso music! It’s like one giant, free, Caribbean themed party and you’re all invited!
Back in 1964 when we had our first carnival, only about 500 people attended. This year, expect to see 50,000 performers, 40 sound systems and be one of the 2.5 million people expected to attend.
Got you interested? Get down there!
It’s on for 2 days of the weekend: Sunday (the child friendly version) and Monday (the not-so-child-friendly version) and the party kicks off at 9am and officially ends at 7pm – but it won’t be too hard to find an after-party!
Notting Hill Carnival Route:
Some useful tips:
- Use public transport to get there but check the TFL site before you go – not all stations are open! http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/nottinghillcarnival/
- Get there early to avoid the crowds and don’t even think about walking against the flow of people
- Wear comfy shoes that will also protect you from getting your toes crushed!
- Try to leave your valuables at home and don’t keep your money/phone in your back pocket
- Bring your own toilet paper and hand sanitiser and try to plan your toilet stops beforehand!
- Drink responsibly!!